Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society
The mission of the Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society is to recognize those physical therapy students who demonstrate commitment to providing underserved clients and communities with quality physical therapy care while maintaining the standards and requirements of their physical therapy curriculums and the physical therapy profession. The Honor Society aims to encourage the development of altruism and social responsibility.
How to Join as an Institutional Member
Any accredited physical therapy school in the United States who provides any type of pro bono physical therapy services either in their community or internationally is eligible for institutional membership to The Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society. Becoming a new institutional member requires the institution to determine the required hours of service to be nominated and allows the university or college to nominate students for the award. The institution will be acknowledged on the website. Institutions interested in becoming members must submit an institutional application along with the $100.00 annual fee.
Institutional applications will be submitted using the New Institutional Membership Form.
Benefits for Student Honorees
Honorees for the Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society will receive:
1. Awards certificate noting the student’s commitment to community.
2. Optional honor cord to be worn at student’s graduation. The honor cord has a $10 fee for the cord and shipping costs which needs to be paid in advance of shipping.
3. Acknowledgement on the Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society website.
Procedure for Student Nomination
1) Institutional members will determine the required number of pro bono service hours for a student nomination specific to the school’s needs throughout the entire DPT curriculum.
2) Nominations for the Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society will be submitted by the faculty advisor of the pro bono clinic or equivalent. Nomination forms should be submitted one month before the student’s scheduled graduation date.
3) Nominations will be submitted using the Student Nomination Form.
Physical Therapy Pro Bono National Honor Society Student Travel Scholarships
Congratulations to Western Carolina University for winning the travel scholarship to the 2017 Eastern Regional Pro Bono Networking Conference and to Briar Cliff University for winning the travel scholarship to the 2017 Western Regional Pro Bono Networking Conference.